澳大利亚,Wahroonga私立小学/ GGF Architects

建筑师:GGF Architects

地点:Wahroonga, Australia

营造商:Admire Build Pty Ltd

工程师:Eclipse Consulting & Martens & Associates

城市规划师:Glendinning Minto & Associates

遗产建筑顾问:NBRS+Partners

摄影:Archishot & Tanja Milbourne Photography

Wahroonga私立小学依偎在圣•约翰斯团结教会团体(NSW)之间,后者是一片保存完好的建筑群,属于受国家文物局保护的重要遗产,在两个临街面上将学校建筑遮挡在内。在联邦政府“教育建设改革计划(BER)”的推动下,学校决定向前方扩建教学楼,以满足对额外教室、图书馆、音乐和艺术教室的迫切需要。

在BER计划实施之前,校方就精心考虑了多种扩建教学楼和操场的方式,包括购买附近几片土地、重新配置当前地块的用途等。计划还决定增加L形建筑上部楼层的体积,用来容纳更多的教室、图书馆、音乐教室以及配套辅助设施。设计要求的其他核心要素有易于到达(提供电梯)、翻新包括大堂及主入口在内的底层。

设计要求的宗旨与目标包括:需要为孩子们改善和充实学校环境;适当重新利用学校建筑,同时对作为遗产建筑的教堂综合建筑及其周围环境产生的影响微乎其微或者完全没有,使翻新建筑与历史建筑达到完美的融合。这种适应能力高超的建筑应尊重并保留NSW的遗产意义,同时加入能为未来提供价值的当代元素。

从环境方面来说,保存原有建筑及其蕴含能源已有颇多受益,包括减少拆除范围、回收建筑材料以及其他生命周期效益。本次开发的一项关键目标就是用现代化技术修缮上世纪60年代建造的房屋,以期提高安全标准,并引进教具、节能措施等许多先进技术。还必须考虑温度、湿度、空气质量、照明和噪声水平等室内环境问题。

NSW是国家遗产名录登记在案(第01670号)的建筑。“作为一个独立组团,这些建筑有着特殊的审美意义。它们的细部处理匀称、雅致,施工工艺精湛。”澳洲风格的牧师住宅建于1898年(Charles Slatyer of Slatyre & Cosh Architects设计,来源:NBRS&P),早于教堂综合建筑,后者建于20世纪20年代,由Sulman, Power and Adam的知名建筑师John Sheddan Adam设计,至今依然保存得相当完整。

学校建筑由Laurie & Heath Architects设计,建于上世纪五六十年代,与教堂综合建筑的风格和细部设计都形成了鲜明的对比。这些年来它经过多次修缮,在这片建筑中变得越来越不起眼了。

教堂的窗户由著名玻璃艺术家Norman Carter(1875-1963)设计。新建筑的色彩选择正受到其中一扇独特窗户的两大特色的启发,包括边缘以及内部楼层的色彩,黄、橙、红、绿、蓝,五彩缤纷。在NBRS+Partners的建议以及NSW遗产委员会的直接参与下,它们被重新设计成了一个令人愉悦、引人注目而又明快的建筑,同时体现了对传统艺术形式的现代反思。


Architects: GGF Architects

Location: Wahroonga, Australia

Builder: Admire Build Pty Ltd

Engineer: Eclipse Consulting & Martens & Associates

Town Planner: Glendinning Minto & Associates

Heritage: NBRS+Partners

Photographs: Archishot & Tanja Milbourne Photography

Wahroonga Preparatory School is nestled between the St Johns Uniting Church Group (NSW), a highly significant State Heritage listed group of buildings all original and well maintained, screen the school building along both street frontages. The commonwealth government’s Building the Education Revolution (BER) programme motivated the School to move forward its plans for expansion, fulfilling crucial needs for additional classrooms, library, music and art room.

A number options for expansion of the school building and playgrounds were considered well before the advent of the BER program, including options to purchase adjoining parcels of land; reconfiguration of areas and uses within the current curtilage amongst others. It was resolved to increase the bulk on the upper levels within the ‘L’ shaped footprint to accommodate additional classrooms, library, music room and ancillary facilities. Other core elements of the brief included accessibility (provision of lift) and refurbished ground floor including lobby and main entry.

The aims and objectives of the design brief included needs to ameliorate and enrich the school environment primarily for the children that inhabit the space; to adaptively reuse the school building while having minimal or no impact on the heritage significance of the Church and hall complex and its setting, bringing together a history of renovations into a cohesive aesthetic. The adapted building should respect and retain the heritage significance of the group while adding a contemporary layer that provides value for the future.

Environmentally there have been many benefits to retention of the original building and its embodied energy, including reduced scope for demolition, recycling of building materials amongst other lifecycle benefits. A critical goal of the development was modernisation of the 1960’s building to allow improved safety standards, leading technology including teaching aids and energy efficient measures amongst many others. Consideration was given to the indoor environment including temperature, humidity, air quality, lighting and noise levels.

St Johns Uniting Church Group is listed in the State heritage register (no.01670). “As a group, and individually, the buildings are of exceptional aesthetic significance. They are well proportioned, refined in detail and the work is well crafted” . The manse built c1898 in federation style (design by Charles Slatyer of Slatyre & Cosh Architects, (source: NBRS&P) predates the church and hall complex which was built in stages during the c1920’s by the eminent architect John Sheddan Adam of Sulman, Power and Adam and has retained a high level of integrity.

The School building designed by Laurie & Heath Architects was built during the c1950’s- c1960’s and stands in stark contrast to church and halls in style and detail. It has been altered on many occasions over the years becoming less significant in the group.

The windows of the church were designed by the well-known glass artist Norman Carter (1875-1963). The selection of building colours were informed and inspired by the two main characteristics taken from a specific window. This included the margin and then the story inside the border including yellows, orange, reds, greens and blues. Following consultation with NBRS+Partners and the direct involvement of the Heritage Council of NSW they were then reconfigured to provide a bright, happy and engaging building providing a contemporary reflection of a traditional art form.