美国,俄亥俄州,美国材料信息学会总部大楼改造/ The Chesler Group and Dimit Architects

The ASM International(美国材料信息学会)的国际总部原先建于1959年,出自20世纪中叶两位颇具影响力的建筑师手笔,他们分别是师从包豪斯学派创始人沃尔特·格罗佩斯的John Terence Kelly,和以网格穹顶、环保设计与节能汽车设计著称的R. Buckminster Fuller。项目位于材料园,占地45英亩(约18万平方米),包括建筑物、穹顶和花园。本次翻新的主要设计单位为The Chesler GroupDimit Architects,他们使Kelly的建筑焕发了新的生机。根据Architectural Record网站(Snapshot,Laura Raskin)的报道,The Chesler Group的Michael Chesler此次全力挽救这一建筑奇迹,令其最终跻身“美国国家史迹名录”,因而能够利用税额减免的政策为翻新提供资金。

1959年建造的总部大楼,其设计超乎寻常,令人感到不可思议,特别是它结合了在现代主义时期齐头并进的两种建筑风格。Kelly的建筑“批量借鉴”了现代主义时期的风格,其中包括“混凝土底层架空柱,四周安装着整层高的玻璃,ASM散发出强烈的格罗佩斯、勒·柯布西耶和戈登·邦夏的创作风格”,上句话引自《大都市》杂志Steven Litt的文章(第二次机会,Steven Litt)。相比之下,Fuller利用精简的纯几何形式(错综复杂的三角形格子框架)创建了这样一个空间:只是在暗示着居住和外壳,却没有提供实际的居住功能。两种结构的结合令项目生出一种独特而又超凡脱俗的感觉,大大超前于那个时代。球型屋顶悬停在狭长的建筑上方,锚固在地面,为Kelly的建筑的几个位置提供了引人注目之处。

如此说来,很明显,Chesler对于保留建筑架构持肯定的态度。当Chesler与ASM International的常务董事Stan Theobald接洽时,这位对翻新建筑抱有极大兴趣的董事却觉得这样做不现实。然而,Chesler对Theobald保证The Chesler Group能够开发出改造计划,获得必要的融资,而且按时在预算内完成翻新项目之后,Theobald就同意了。

翻新的细节方面尽管有些微妙,但确实能够使建筑回复到原来的状态。原先内部的金属表面得到了保留:铜、钢铁、黄铜、铝等材质的细部设计,不锈钢悬浮状楼梯,而原来的混凝土地板经过打磨,呈现出石子骨料。该建筑甚至得以升级,在原先设计的基础上新增了新的饰面、六个新建小厨房、十间会议室、两个新的前厅、健身室和卫生间。还对室外的不锈钢太阳能遮板和钢格架进行了翻新。具有历史纪念意义的厚玻璃窗以及窗框,共268扇均得到翻新。绿色屋顶广场得到修复,并进行防水处理,而防辐射混凝土拱壁女儿墙也得以重建。翻新还包括电气与加热设备的升级:新设备、新接的电线和200盏全新的LED筒灯。翻新还给我们带来了一个惊喜。Nikos Bel-Jon的古老艺术作品被发现后得到了修复,如今展览在大楼的各个地方。

点击The New Herald提供的这个链接,可看到ASM世界总部在改造之后的简短视频介绍。

建筑师(改造):Dimit Architects

建筑师(原设计): John Terence Kelly and R. Buckminster Fuller

开发商: The Chesler Group

地点:美国俄亥俄州,拉塞尔

原先竣工时间:1959

改造时间:July 2011

材料:玻璃、混凝土、钢

面积:60,000 sf building, 45 acre site

改造后摄影:Jeff Goldberg ESTO

文字、图片与线图均由The Chesler Group 和 Dimit Architects授权使用。

资料来源:Architectural Record (Snapshot, Laura Raskin), Wallpaper* (Design Awards 2012 Best Renovation, Ellie Stathaki), Metropolis, (A Second Chance, Steven Litt)


The ASM International World Headquarters, originally constructed in 1959, is an architectural composition by two influential designers during the mid-twentieth century: John Terence Kelly, who studied under Bauhaus-founder Walter Gropius, and R. Buckminster Fuller, well known for his geodesic domes, environmentally-conscious designs and the dymaxion car.  The complex includes the building, dome and garden on the 45-acre site known as Materials Park.  The renovation, led by The Chesler Group and Dimit Architects, brings new life to Kelly’s building.  According to Architectural Record, (Snapshot, Laura Raskin), Michael Chesler of The Chesler Group, campaigned to salvage the architectural marvel, giving it a place in the National Register of Historic Places and using tax credits to fund the renovation.

The 1959 Headquarters is an uncanny design, particularly because it combines two styles running parallel in the modernist period.  Kelly’s building – “a series of quotations” from the modernist period includes “concrete pilotis and wrapped in floor-to-ceiling glass, ASM gives off heavy emanations of Gropius, Le Corbusier and Gordon Bunshaft”, writes Steven Litt of Metropolis, (A Second Chance, Steven Litt).  In contrast, Fuller’s stripped down and pure geometric form – an intricate lattice of triangles – creates a space that only implies habitation and enclosure without providing it. The pairing of the two structures gives the complex a unique and otherworldly vibe, certainly futuristic for its time.  The geodesic dome hovers over the rectilinear building beneath it, touching down at points and bringing the focus to particular points of Kelly’s structure.

It is clear, then, why Chesler was so adamant about preserving the architecture. When Chesler approached Stan Theobald, Managing Director of ASM International, with an interest in renovating the building, Stan did not think it was realistic. However, after assuring Theobald that The Chesler Group could develop the renovation plans, obtain the necessary financing and construct the renovation successfully on time and under budget, Theobald agreed.

The details of the renovation, though subtle, were able to revive the building to its original state.  The original metal surfaces of the interior were retained: copper, steel, brass, aluminium details, the stainless steel floating staircase, and the original structural concrete floors were polished to reveal its stone aggregate.  The building even received an upgrade: new finishes, six new kitchenettes, ten conference rooms, two new lobbies, fitness rooms and bathrooms were added to the original scheme.  The exterior stainless steel solar shades and steel lattice were refurbished.  The historic monumental plate glass windows and frames, all 268 of them, were restored and re-glazed.  The green roof plaza was restored and waterproofed, and the radial concrete arch parapet wall reconstructed.  The renovation also included an electrical and heating upgrade: new gear, rewiring, and two-hundred new LED down lights with restoration to the lighting fixtures.  The renovation also came back with a surprise.  Historic artwork of Nikos Bel-Jon was discovered, restored and is now displayed throughout the building.

Follow this link via The New Herald for a quick video tour of ASM International World Headquarters after the renovation.

Architects (renovation): Dimit Architects

Architects (original): John Terence Kelly and R. Buckminster Fuller

Developer: The Chesler Group

Locations: Russel, Ohio, USA

Built: 1959

Renovated: July 2011

Materials: Glass, Concrete, Steel

Area: 60,000 sf building, 45 acre site 

“After” Photographs: Jeff Goldberg ESTO

Text, Images and Drawings Courtesy of The Chesler Group and Dimit Architects.

Reference: Architectural Record (Snapshot, Laura Raskin), Wallpaper* (Design Awards 2012 Best Renovation, Ellie Stathaki), Metropolis, (A Second Chance, Steven Litt)